How to Pay Taxes in Canada

For more information on Canadian taxes, please refer to “File a Student Income Tax Return” on the Canadian government website or contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Whether or not you are a Canadian resident, you must file annual income tax returns to report your taxable income. In addition, as a Canadian resident, you are responsible for paying taxes on any global income you receive throughout the year and filing a tax return with the government.

How to Report & Pay Your Taxes

On your tax return, you will be reporting income earned throughout that year and must pay taxes due on this income by April 30. When filling out a tax return, you will need to include personal information, report all of the income not subject to taxes for that year, and claim the deductions, credits, and expenses you are using to offset the tax liability. If you are an absentee who has had Part XIII and Part I tax payments deducted at source, you may not need to fill out tax returns on some income sources unless you are filing for a refund. In addition, if you are a non-resident, you are entitled to the Personal Tax Credit if 90 percent or more of your income globally is earned in Canada.

These eligible credits will be multiplied by a federal tax-credit non-refundable rate of 15%, which determines how much of the credit you can include as a deduction against your taxable income.

Income Tax

The tax credit allows the remaining income to be reduced by taxes paid to foreign governments. International tax treaties provide relief from double taxation with Canada, a tax credit, and a foreign tax deduction for income derived from sources other than Canadian. To prevent such double taxation on identical income, the Canadian federal income tax system, through the “Gross-Up” and “Dividend Tax Credit” (DTC) mechanisms, provides a credit against the corporate taxes, at the nominal federal-provincial corporate tax rate, for taxpaying individuals residing in Canada who receive dividends from Canadian corporations. In Canada, the Canadian tax system is progressive or graduated, meaning that the more you earn, the higher your tax bill on that income.

Canada’s progressive or graduated rate structure reduces tax burdens for people with lower incomes. Corporate taxes include taxes on business income in Canada and other taxes and charges paid by corporations to the different levels of Canada’s government. In addition, corporations are liable to taxes in Canada on their global income as long as they are domiciled in Canada for Canadian tax purposes.

One thing U.S. and Canadian residents share is the need to pay taxes on income earned globally. The U.S. is among a handful of governments that impose taxes on international income earned by its citizens and permanent residents who live abroad. Instead of paying provincial or territorial taxes, nonresidents pay 48 percent more of their base federal tax rate on income taxed in Canada, which was not earned in a province or territory.

International Income Taxes in Canada

Non-residents responsible for income taxes on earnings like retirement, rent payments, and dividends pay a 25 percent flat rate on earnings like retirement. In addition, non-resident individuals are liable for Canadian income taxes on earnings derived from work in Canada, earnings derived from operating businesses in Canada, and capital gains derived from the disposal of Canadian taxable property. If you are a non-resident and receive income from work or a company in Canada, you must file a standard tax form, the T1.

Canada collects individual income taxes from income earned globally for individuals living in Canada and some types of Canadian-source income earned by non-residents. In addition, the Canada Revenue Agency collects personal income taxes from eligible provinces/territories and remits revenues to their respective governments.

Ontario has entered into a collection agreement with the Canadian Government whereby the CRA will collect corporate income taxes on Ontario’s behalf beginning in 2009. As a result, in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2018, the government of Canada collected slightly over three times as much in individual income taxes as it did in corporate income taxes. Except for Quebec, provincial and territorial taxes are calculated from federal returns and collected by Canada.

As is often the case, residency issues are of significant importance to taxes in the eyes of Canada’s revenue agencies. Therefore, it is essential to consider the implications of residency ties in Canada and establish residency before filing income tax returns. Returning to Canada and again showing residence would mean you would return to paying Canadian taxes on your global income and face the same taxes you did before leaving.

Taxes for Non-Residents

Non-residents who remain in Canada for more than 183 days a year may also be considered residents and become subject to taxes on their worldwide income. Since many countries have lower personal income tax rates than Canada, it is possible you would wish to terminate your Canadian residency. In addition, most international students who earn their degrees in Canada while holding a study permit are considered residents of Canada for income tax purposes; however, taxes are based on individual, individual circumstances.

Along with a typical income tax return, many individuals must file a return disclosing assets held in foreign bank accounts using FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR). Once you have filed at least one income tax return, received your Notice of Assessment, and have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN), you can set up a myAccount on the CRAs website.

You will input your taxable income on page 3 of the T1 General Return Form into this spreadsheet, and it will calculate the amount of tax to be paid. After the amounts described above are subtracted from total income, you are left with your taxable income — the amount your tax liability is calculated against. This deduction allows you to remove $101,300 (this amount is for taxes paid in 2016) from earned income from overseas sources.

Having at least $400 in self-employment income subjects an individual to U.S. tax on foreign earned income, regardless of where that income is earned. In addition, the income from family members and separate adults will be subject to the higher combined federal/provincial (or territorial) marginal tax rates (i.e. The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) collects duties and fees for international packages arriving in Canada.

How to Pay?

Visit the CRA website to make payment for the tax year.

Also, find out how to reduce your income tax in the article here. Did you receive a Canada RIT payment? This is what it is.

Make your taxes easy with Wealthsimple Tax.

What is a Credit memo?


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

EnglishFrenchChinese (Simplified)GermanSpanish